If we do everything that we know, we would be awesome human beings. But everything in life is easier said than done. That’s why such few people end up doing the more difficult things in life. Cause if it was easy, just about everyone would have done them.
When I interact with people all over the country, I am surprised by the amount of knowledge they possess on subjects like Leadership, Customer Service, Sales, etc. Give them a class room with an audience and people could talk on brilliant concepts, but in theory. Why is it then that we fail in translating what we know, into action? Why is the gap so big between thought and implementation?
Implementing and executing anything is way more difficult than knowing what’s right to do. That’s why the most prized assets in business are people who can translate plans and meeting talks into action.
So how can we act on what we know in our professional lives? How can we apply our existing behavioural knowledge into action?
- Remind yourself about it all the time.
- Have someone keep an eye on you. Give you frank feedback when you stray.
- Involve buddies. People that are working with you on these issues so you don’t feel alone.
- Focus. Then focus again when you lose focus.
- Don’t try to do too many things. Make a list of the things you wish to achieve and then implement them one thing at a time till you achieve competency in that behaviour.
- Don’t play mind games with yourself. Don’t fool yourself into believing that what you have planned is not important. The mind can come up with a million, completely reasonable sounding excuses when you like. Remember, the only person you are fooling is you.
For example, if you have decided to be more appreciative as a leader, ensure that it’s something you incorporate in your conduct, irrespective of the situation. Cause there will always be pressure. There will always be your boss baying for you blood. There will be that target sword over your head. But if you have decided to incorporate a particular behaviour, let it not be contingent to certain factors being perfect or ideal. Else you will never get started or even if you do, it will take you a very long time.
If you stick to the above, you will realise that you have incorporated different elements in your life. Each one of them helped you grow more than anyone else.
So why not do yourself a favour, by doing what you already know?!