If we all did all that we knew, we would be awesome human beings and have fabulous careers.
Everything in life is easier said than done. That’s why such few people end up doing the more difficult things in life. Cause if it was easy, just about everyone would have done them. Just about everyone would have had super successful careers.
When I interact with people through workshops all over the country, I am surprised by the amount of knowledge people possess about subject like Leadership, Customer service, Sales etc. Give them a class room and the right frame work and people come up with brilliant things In theory. Why is it then do we fail in translating what we know into action ? Why is the gap so big between thought and implementation ?
Implementing and executing anything is much more difficult than knowing what’s right to do. That’s why the most prized asset in business are people who can translate plans/ meeting discussions into action. In Business, nobody cares how much you know or how brilliant you are. What people care about is what you do as a professional.
The biggest excuse we give ourselves for not doing what we know is the fact that we get caught up in our ‘daily routine’. That we are too busy to put these things into action.
But how can we do it in our professional lives? How can we apply our existing behavioural knowledge into action ?
- Don’t try to do too many things. Make a list of the things you wish to achieve and then implement them one things at a time till you achieve competency in that behaviour.
- Remind yourself about it all the time. Desktop Wallpapers, post it
- Have someone keep an eye on you. Give you frank feedback when you stray.
- Make a public announcement on Facebook etc. maybe the pressure of going back on what you said publicly will be a stimulant enough
- Have learning buddies. People that are working with you on these issues so you don’t feel alone.
- Don’t wait for any date in the future to get started. No start of the month or year bull shit. Get started today. Right now. Now is always the most auspicious time.
- Don’t play mind games with your self. Don’t fool yourself into believing that the things that you decided are not important. The mind can come up with a million completely reasonable sounding excuses when you like. Remember, the only person you are fooling is you.
- Don’t give up. Keep at it. When you don’t do what you were supposed to do, don’t give up and say pessimistic ally ‘ well this is the way I am’ OR ‘ these things work better in books, not in real’. Get up and get going.
For example, if you have decided to be more appreciative as a leader, ensure that it’s something that you incorporate in the way you are irrespective of the situation. There will always be pressure. There will always be your boss baying for you blood. There will be the targets to achieve and month ends. But if you have decided to incorporate a certain behaviour, let it not contingent to a lot of different factors being perfect or ideal. If you wait for your surroundings to be ideal before you start incorporating a behaviour in your life, you will have to wait your whole life.
If you stick to the above, you will realise that before you know it, you have incorporated different elements in your life that you knew. Each one of them helped you grow more that anyone else.
So do yourself a favour, by doing what you already know.