The coverage continues. Going from Live, reporter crouching coverage to the round table discussions. Soon, the media would find another topic of discussion (Shakti Kapoor may try to molest or Salman Khan poach). Dont blame the media. They need to take care of their bottom lines just like we do.
That being the case, What action would we take ? Not now. Not riding on the current emotional wave but after the media hoopla dies down.That will determine whether we move ahead as a country. The action we take a couple of weeks after this incident. We need to use this as a trigger. Actually, we’ve had so many opportunities in this year for us as a PEOPLE to get triggered. A bomb in a small lane in North Delhi killing 2 people or the hostage situation which is part of a Kashmiris everyday life. A nun being raped by fundamentalists or the Malegaon blasts. But finally, I’m hoping that this 58 hour horror will be a trigger for a new India.
I have also received a lot of emails and messages encouraging me not to Vote in 2009. I’m sure the current politicians are smiling ear to ear at the prospects of us not voting at all. They will have things much easier than they did earlier. Now elections would purely by fought on the lines of caste and religion. So pls desist from doing the same.
So, how do we really scare a politican? What would make him take notice of us? The people of India. The only way I can think of (with the very little knowledge I have) is to compete against them. Not by one honest person standing for elections. But by us creating a framework for political participation. A socio political party that each one of us feel a part of. I will post further of the formation of this socio political organisation on 6th December. Of the top of my head, these would be the 7 ways to start scaring our politicans. Tell me what you’ll think. The more the merrier.
1. Money : Creating an organisation with more money power than the ones that exist currently. How ? Backed by corporates and more importantly contributions from us. Just like giveindia.org you will know exactly where ur money was used – whether it went in the development of a social cause or to fund a candidate of this organisation fighting muncipal elections. We could communuicate and rope in the likes of give india to help us build expertise in the same.
2. Media : In India , the big groups dominate the media space. The likes of Times of India have already shown the willingness to bring about change. With the help of a the stateman chairman, we can talk to each of these media houses to contribute in terms of air time and space on newspapers. Imagine the impact that, backed with effective exposure through editorial could have ?
3. Communication : People in the advertising and communication space are always willing to help out. Imagine O and M designing the most moving communication to galvanise a country. Think Vande Mataram by A. R Rahman OR Mille Suure mera tumhara and its ability to give us goose bumps.
The effective use of blogging , youtube and mobile networking can reach millions of indians across the world.
Hiring the best PR executives to work closely with media through out the year and country.
4. Ground Activation. : How do you reach almost every nook and corner of this country with the message of a new india ? With the msg of change ( forgive me obama) ? Exactly how Hindusthan Lever and Coke do. If they can take the message of their brand to every nook and corner, making people pay a price for their products , we just need people to come out and vote. To manage rallies and get together , we can have professionals in the event business provide us with expertise at a cost. Imagine rallies with Multi Media presentations showing the poor n rich of india what the situation in the country is. Specially in places in India where people think Indira Gandhi is still the PM. ( Bellary ,Karnataka, during the last lok sabha election , NDTV Report )
5. Matters : Most of us wonder why the people of India elect the people they elect. That’s cause different sections of people belonging to different stratas of society have different’ matters’ to worry about. The poor don’t care as much about the roads and electrcity cause they don’t have food on the plate. We worry about roads and now security cause its starting impacting us. When this happens in Kashmir , its news we turn a blind eye too. Its not about how we are. That’s human nature. We will rise when the problem starts affecting us. And now, due to our connections with bombay and the fact that it was a 58 hour affair(vs the split second bomb blast) , we have taken notice.
The point is , we need to have a deep understanding of the problems that plague the people. Unfortunately every decisions made impacts people in positive and negatively ways. But decisions must be taken. And be communicated well to the public.
6. Professional Politicians : We need to make Politics a professional. A choice that we make. The biggest hindrance to people joining politics today is their inability to be a part of social cause that pays like corporate does. With the same benefits, incentives and opportunities to grow. If we can create a socio political organization that does that, I am sure we will see thousands of people being drawn into the process.
7. Heart : People across the world can get things done , only and only when they get emotional about stuff. Our emotions drive us. The ATS chief knew intelectually that his life was at stake. Yet their heart and emotions made them take action. Our HEART can and should combat politicians.
We are the new politicians. Let’s take pride in it. Let’s tell people at the risk of sounding stupid that we are Indias new poltical class. Let politics not be a bad word like it is now. Thats when we’ll see change.